The Summits of Canada Expedition began with the first climb on June 25, 2006. The team made their first summit attempt on Mount Columbia in Alberta. Click here for more details and information about this incredible Canadian peak.
The team has now returned from the mountain where they experienced very warm weather conditions which resulted in high-risk avalanche conditions. For more information, click on and listen to the audio clips below from Expedition Leader, James Coleridge, explaining what happened on the mountain and how it affected the team's first summit attempt.
Tales From The Trails:
Add this page to your "Favorites" and follow the Team on their journey to the summit, One Step At A Time. The topics below will fill up with material as the climb progresses and news, commentaries, photos and video footage from the team will be posted here. So check back often and stay tuned!
- click images to enlarge
and view more photos:
Team and camp photos
Team climbing photos
Mountain & Glacier photos
- more photos coming soon
Saturday, June 24, 2006
- team heads for Mount Columbia, Alta
Sunday, June 25, 2006
- team camps on Columbia Icefield, delays advancing because of avalanche concerns, aiming for a Tuesday summit attempt
Monday, June 26, 2006 (1am)
- team assesses the impacts of higher than normal temperatures and the resulting avalanche dangers just prior to their scheduled 2am departure to ascend to high camp
Monday, June 26, 2006 (3am, update 2)
- after a team meeting assessing the risks of avalanche dangers due to current weather conditions, the consensus is that safety comes first and the climb has been halted and postponed until a later date
Monday, June 26, 2006 (9:30am, update 3)
- team descends and arrives back at the Climbers Parking Lot on Athabasca Glacier. Extremely tired and bit disappointed but committed to return, they renew and bolster their spirits with an impromptu meeting with some international tourists and get to showcase our country by enjoying some Canadian public relations activities.
CanaTREK, the Summits of Canada Expedition Team - 2006
"Teaching Canadians and the World about Canada - One Step At A Time"